Even though doctors, nurses, physician’s assistants, and other healthcare providers undergo extensive training and schooling to treat patients daily, they can still occasionally make errors. Unfortunately, some of these errors can have devastating effects on the patients who have endured them.
When a doctor fails to provide the accepted professional duty owed to each patient, that physician should be held liable. If a nurse or physician acted negligently and caused severe harm to a patient, that injured patient may be eligible to file a medical malpractice claim against the healthcare provider.
At Frischman & Rizza in Pittsburgh, PA, our injury law firm is here to represent injured patients in and out of court and ensure that they get the best possible outcome for their medical malpractice lawsuit. Our team is dedicated to holding the medical professionals responsible for their negligent actions and medical errors and working for the maximum compensation for our clients in their medical malpractice claims.
What Is a Medical Malpractice Claim?
A medical malpractice claim can be filed against a healthcare provider who has failed to meet the accepted professional standard of care. When the doctor, nurse, or other healthcare professional fails in their duties, resulting in serious injury to the patient, they may be sued for medical malpractice or medical negligence.
Working through a medical malpractice case can be very complex and exhausting. As an injured patient, you must leave the legal work to the professionals handling the medical malpractice lawsuits so that you can focus on healing and recovery.
An experienced medical malpractice law firm such as ours at Frischman & Rizza can investigate medical negligence claims, gather evidence, talk to medical experts, and develop a solid legal strategy for your medical malpractice claim. This allows you to recover from your injuries and work to get back to normal.
Types of Errors and Medical Malpractice Cases
Our experienced attorneys at Frischman & Rizza have been able to prosecute many medical malpractice cases successfully for clients in Pittsburgh, PA. Some of these medical malpractice cases include:
- Anesthesia: When the administration of anesthesia is necessary for an operation, the right person should be in the operating room monitoring the patient. If the anesthesiologist is negligent in their duties, serious injury can result.
- Birth Injuries: The outcome can be devastating when the newborn incurs childbirth injuries due to preventable medical mistakes. A lifetime of medical care and expenses all because of a doctor’s negligence. This includes shoulder dystocia.
- Blood Thinner Errors: Blood clots are a serious issue, and patients are often prescribed blood thinners to prevent blood clots from forming. However, blood thinners can also be deadly when defined incorrectly.
- Cancer Misdiagnosis: One of the most devastating things a patient can hear is that they have cancer. Any cancer will instill fear in just about any person. However, if caught early enough, some cancers can be remission. When a medical professional misses a cancer diagnosis, the outcome could be fatal for the patient.
- Diagnosis Errors: From heart attacks to strokes and everything in between, it is critical that a doctor accurately diagnoses the condition. If there is an error due to negligence, the result could be serious injury or even death.
- Emergency Room Errors: Emergency rooms are busy, and accidents often happen. Though they are unfortunately common, the outcome of an emergency room error could be deadly. Negligence on the emergency room medical professional must be held accountable.
- Infections: Whether it is an acquired infection or something like meningitis, a failure to diagnose these infections properly or prevent them can be devastating for the patients. A medical malpractice lawsuit could be filed.
- IV Infiltration and Extravasation: IV therapy is a widely accepted and useful strategy for administering fluids, blood, and medications to a patient. Mistakes made during the IV process can be catastrophic, and medical professionals should be held responsible for their medical negligence.
- Neurological: When neurological disorders such as Cauda Equina Syndrome are not diagnosed promptly, and treatment is not initiated quickly, debilitating effects on a patient’s spinal cord can never be reversed.
- Medication Errors: It is unfortunate that medication mistakes happen regularly and can have seriously disastrous effects on the patients, including death. When the US’s third leading cause of death is medication error, a medical malpractice lawsuit should be filed against the negligent medical professional.
- Pulmonary Embolism: When a patient is diagnosed with a pulmonary embolism, a blood clot has formed and broken free in the body. That clot can have severe effects on the body, including death. Early detection and diagnostic testing are essential, and a medical malpractice lawsuit could be filed when the diagnosis is missed.
- Radiology Malpractice: Radiology is a critical step in the diagnostic process, but it also comes with risks. There can be radiology errors, MRI burns, and MRI missile injuries. Under medical malpractice law, these injuries may be eligible for compensation through medical malpractice cases.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: Because the spinal cord is so vital for the everyday functioning of every human being, any issues in the spine must be detected early. A misdiagnosis or trouble with the imaging can be devastating and have major negative effects on the patient’s life.
- Surgical Errors: Surgical errors can be severe. Whether it is a surgical fire or a “never event,” surgical errors can be painful. Many medical malpractice claims result from mistakes made in the operating room because the medical professional who made a mistake may have altered the patient’s life permanently.
There are other kinds of medical malpractice lawsuits that may be filed due to various medical errors. Contact Frischman & Rizza to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and fight for compensation when a physician has harmed you.
Contact Our Pittsburgh Medical Negligence Attorneys
At Frischman & Rizza in Pittsburgh, PA, our medical malpractice attorneys have the knowledge, skills, and experience to thoroughly investigate your claim, gather evidence from the medical records, and develop a strategy for your medical malpractice suit.
Just about every doctor has medical malpractice insurance to cover them in case of a serious mistake, and a medical malpractice victim deserves the maximum compensation for their injuries.
When you need an experienced medical malpractice attorney on your side, contact Frischman & Rizza for a free case evaluation. We develop a strong attorney-client relationship and ensure that the medical error which harmed you is not brushed under the rug.