Pennsylvania Insurance Law 101: What Insurance Is Required by Law in PA? - Frischman & Rizza P.C. | Pennsylvania Medical Malpractice Attorneys

Frischman & Rizza

Pennsylvania Insurance Law 101: What Insurance Is Required by Law in PA?

Like other states throughout the country, Pennsylvania requires drivers of motor vehicles to have a valid driver’s license, vehicle registration, and proof of car insurance. These items will be especially necessary if you are ever pulled over by law enforcement or get into an accident. Pennsylvania drivers often have one question on their minds what type of insurance coverage is necessary, and what is the minimum coverage for my motor vehicle.

Unlike many states, Pennsylvania provides a special situation for residents choosing an insurance policy and coverage right for them. As a part of this decision, they will have to determine whether they want to opt in or opt-out of no-fault insurance. This choice will be critical when it comes to who pays for medical expenses and other losses in the event of a car accident.

Suppose you or a loved one has been involved in an auto accident and sustained injuries. In that case, you may need legal counsel when dealing with the insurance department authorizing payment for your medical bills and damages. Car insurance policies in Pennsylvania are complicated, and working with the authority to allow your injury compensation takes experience and skills. Contact the Frischman & Rizza in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, to discuss your accident and the best way to handle your insurance company.

Pennsylvania Is a Choice No-Fault State

In most states, drivers are faced with either at-fault or no-fault insurance laws. Both situations can be confusing, but Pennsylvania has made insurance coverage more challenging by embracing a hybrid option. It is considered a “choice, no-fault” state. This means that drivers will opt-in or opt-out of no-fault insurance laws when purchasing their car insurance policy.

Those who opt-in to the no-fault insurance benefit from knowing exactly who will be compensating them for any injuries and damages sustained in an accident – their own insurance company. However, they will generally not be able to seek compensation for further damage or additional pain and suffering from the at-fault driver through a personal injury claim. This is known as limited tort, and your insurance premiums will be reduced.

Others who opt out of the no-fault insurance (the full tort option) will be able to seek compensation from the at-fault driver, but they must prove that driver’s fault. Settling the lawsuit can take the time that many accident victims do not have. Because your right to sue for damages is not limited, your insurance premiums may be higher.

What Should Minimum Coverage Be Purchased from a Car Insurance Company in Pennsylvania?

When it comes to the minimum coverage you need to carry as an operator of a motor vehicle, Pennsylvania law requires the following:

  • Liability Coverage
    • $15,000 bodily injury per person
    • $30,000 bodily injury per accident
    • $5,000 property damage per accident
  • First Party Medical Benefit: $5,000 per person
  • Optional full or limited tort

As the name would suggest, First Part Benefit (FPB) covers the medical expenses and related bills associated with a car accident for you and your passengers. The minimum coverage is $5,000, but many Pennsylvania drivers will opt for more to ensure that their injuries are fully covered. Third-Party Benefit insurance coverage will pay for any expenses related to an accident for those in the other vehicle(s).

Your Insurance Agent Should Know Pennsylvania Insurance Requirements

By contacting an insurance department, you are beginning your search for the right car insurance coverage for you and your family. The complexities of Pennsylvania’s hybrid “choice no-fault” laws can be very confusing, so you must ask your insurance department to authorize the policy about all aspects. This will ensure that you understand your policy and any limitations that it may have.

Even if you are confused by only one relevant line of the policy, you must discuss that specified line with your proposed insurer and how it could potentially impact you in the event of an accident with any domestic or foreign vehicle, especially when it comes to holding another driver financially responsible for your injuries and damages. Any additional definitions contained in the policy or subsequent provisions that are added should be discussed as well.

You, Will, Need to Provide Proof of Insurance and Your Vehicle Registration to Law Enforcement

As you may have guessed, you will need to show proof of insurance to any law enforcement and your license to operate a motor vehicle and vehicle registration if you get pulled over or are involved in an accident. Your insurer may be contacted to ensure that you carry the minimum coverage required by state law, so be sure that you have an unsuspended or unrevoked certificate of insurance.

Contact Our Injury Attorneys to File a Motor Vehicle Accident Claim

If you are a resident of Pennsylvania and you are concerned about the insurance coverage that your insurer has provided to you, do not hesitate to contact them and learn more. Should the time ever come that you are involved in an accident and need to be sure of what your insurance policy covers, you will certainly not regret the time you took to investigate any relevant line of your policy with your proposed insurer.

Those accident victims who have sustained serious injuries caused by the negligence or recklessness of another driver should contact an experienced personal injury lawyer such as ours at Frischman & Rizza in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. According to Pennsylvania law, we have the knowledge, skills, and training to deal with insurance companies and ensure that your medical expenses are fully covered.

If there is a chance that you may be able to file a personal injury lawsuit, we will also evaluate your case and determine the likelihood of a favorable outcome. Contact us today to schedule your free case evaluation with Frischman & Rizza.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email