When a motor vehicle collision occurs that involves a motorcycle, the results can be especially devastating for the motorcycle rider. Motorcycles can travel at very fast speeds, and the motorcycle drivers are not protected by an outer metal shell (like the drivers of other vehicles) during motorcycle collisions. The motorcycle is likely to be the smallest among the various motor vehicles on the road.
As with other types of accidents, motorcycle crashes need to have fault determined so that the responsible party can be held accountable for their negligence. In a motorcycle accident, the car or truck driver is generally the at-fault party, but that is not always the case. When determining fault in most motorcycle accidents, it will be the lawyers’ duty to demonstrate negligence and work for compensation for the injured party.
At Frischman & Rizza in Pittsburgh, PA, our motorcycle accident attorneys are ready, willing, and able to represent motorcycle riders who have sustained serious injuries during accidents caused by other vehicle drivers. Your motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will thoroughly investigate the case, gather evidence from the accident scene, and use our expertise to fight for your rights as a victim.
Common Causes of a Motorcycle Accident
When motorcycle accidents happen, there can be a wide range of causes that led to the actual incident. Some of the most common causes of motorcycle accidents may not be the fault of anyone involved but rather unsafe road conditions or defective motorcycle parts.
Other times, though, motorcycle accidents occur due to the negligence of other car drivers. Most motorcycle accidents that are caused by recklessness or neglect are the result of:
- Turning Accidents
- Reckless Driving
- Driving Under the Influence of Drugs or Alcohol (DUI)
- Improper Lane Changes
- Distracted Driving
- Inexperienced Drivers on the Road
When the drivers of passenger vehicles are not fully aware of their surroundings on the road and fail to recognize the chance that a motorcycle may be in their cars, there will be the potential for a catastrophic motorcycle accident. And when these motorcycle accidents happen, the motorcycle riders are usually the most negatively affected.
How Is Fault Determined in a Motorcycle Crash?
As we have said, the fault in most motorcycle accidents is largely determined by the evidence provided by both legal counsels. In general, the drivers of passenger vehicles are held accountable because they pose more of a threat to the motorcycle rider than the riders do to the vehicle drivers. However, a court may take the actions of the motorcycle riders and the car drivers into account when making a ruling.
Evidence will need to be produced and explained by the attorneys to help illustrate what exactly happened during the motorcycle crash. This evidence will include the police report, photographs, videos from the accident scene, eyewitness testimony, expert testimony, etc.
If it is shown that the motorcycle rider is liable for partial fault in the accident, then the court may deduct a percentage of the damages from the final settlement. A motorcycle accident caused by improper vehicle maintenance on the rider could result in partial fault determination.
Benefits of Hiring a Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Motorcycle accident cases are complicated and often involve various people and entities. Those individuals who were involved in the motorcycle collisions and sustained severe injuries will need legal representation to ensure that they receive the maximum compensation from the at-fault driver.
There are many benefits of hiring a passionate lawyer dedicated to fighting for the rights and compensation of motorcycle riders. Whether the negligent driver was intoxicated, reckless, or distracted, your attorney can work to demonstrate why that other driver should be held responsible.
Some of the advantages of hiring a personal injury law firm to handle your motorcycle accident case include:
- Experience in the legal field: Having the knowledge needed to litigate motorcycle accidents. There will be many emotions, evidence to be gathered, and insurance claims to be dealt with. Only an attorney with experience and skill will be able to provide motorcyclists with the representation they need.
- Ability to hold reckless drivers or intoxicated drivers accountable: When you have sustained any of the most common motorcycle injuries, such as fractures and head injuries, you do not need to worry about what needs to be done during the case. Distracted drivers need to be held liable for their negligence, and a good personal injury attorney can do just that.
- Gain access to evidence: Items such as police reports, medical reports, and crash scene photos may not be easily accessible by everyday individuals. On the other hand, lawyers can get access to evidence that will be critical in your accident claim.
- Fight for compensation after fatal injuries: If a loved one were killed in an accident involving a passenger vehicle or truck, our injury attorneys at Frischman & Rizza would help you file a wrongful death claim and fight for justice on behalf of your family member or friend.
- Provide you time to heal or grieve: If you sustained some of the more serious injuries possible in motorcycle crashes, you would need time to focus on the healing process. You do not need to worry about legal issues and an injury claim. Those who lost loved ones in motorcycle accidents need time to grieve and figure out how to move forward with their lives. That is why our law firm is here for you.
With all of these advantages, there is no reason to hesitate in calling to schedule a free legal consultation with one of our attorneys to evaluate your case.
Contact Our Law Firm After a Motorcycle Accident
If you or a loved one was involved in a serious motorcycle accident and sustained injuries, contact Frischman & Rizza. We have the knowledge, skills, and experience to evaluate your case, determine if you may be able to file an accident claim against the motor vehicle driver responsible for the crash, and fight for compensation.
Call us today for a free case evaluation.